Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Questions

Throughout the years my mother answered each and every one of my questions to the best of her ability. Whenever things were tough with Daddy my mind and aching heart would get the better of me.

Does he know about me? Yes. Does he love me? Yes. Why did he leave us? He didn't leave us, I wouldn't let him stay. Why? It's complicated. Where does he live? Oakland, I think. Why can't I see him? He's not ready to see you. But why? He just can't right now. He drinks. Do I look like him? I don't know, I think so. What does he look like? I don't really know honey, it's been a long time. What does he do for work? I don't know, he used to be a contractor. Is he nice? Yes.

I'd start dreaming of our meeting. Of how we'd recognize each other if we saw each other in a crowded mall. Of how he would be supportive of me, my education, my interests, goals, aspirations. How he'd be my confidant, closest ally, supporter, friend. Of how he'd be the complete opposite of Daddy.

No comments: